Creating your first Database
Learning Objective : Create a database table with fields of different data types.
Use the database to enter records
Key Words : Table, records, fields
Data Types, Text, Number, Alphnumeric, Boolean and Date
1. Open Microsoft Access and open. Choose blank database
2. Call the database, Smurfs, then choose create
3. You will then be in the Table view. Change to Design view to create your table.
4. You will be asked to save the table. Call this Smurfs.
5. Create the database as shown below. Add the Field Names and Data Type.
6. Go to the Data Type of Gender. Select Lookup Wizard.
7. Select , I willl type the values that I want and press Next
…and enter the values, Male, Female, Non Binary, Other
8. Go back to the Datasheet view
9. Enter the following record for Papa Smurf
Name : Papa Smurf
Date of Birth : 15th June 1465
Friendship : 47
Intelligence : 29
Humour : 5
Adventure : 67
Smurf Skills : 37
You can choose if you think Papa Smurf has Special Educational Needs (SEN) or English as a Second Language (ESOL). Tick the box for Yes or leave it blank for No.
Enter another Smurf record. Research or make up the date of birth and values.
Name : Gargamel
Date of Birth : 31st October 1465
Friendship : 1
Intelligence : 4
Humour : 3
Adventure : 84
Smurf Skills : 0
Again, choose if Gargamel has Special Educational Needs (SEN) or English as a Second Language (ESOL). Tick the box for Yes or leave it blank for No.
Well done, you have created your first database
- I have created a database table
- I have added fields so that I can enter records of smurfs
- I have changed the data types, autonumber, number, text, boolean and date
- I have used a lookup field for one of my fields
- I have entered 3 or more records